Monday, June 29, 2009

Sure I’d love to get on the wrong bus and take a trip out to the hospital and back…

Orvieto Thursday - June 18

I was going to try to catch the 7:50 train to try to go to this little town outside Orvieto.
Its an hour to Orvieto…and hour bus to Bagnoregio...thirty minute walk to the town of Civita.
It's only accessible by a little footbridge and there isn’t much there. Roundtrip is five hours to visit this little town. I wouldn’t mind doing it though. But for today…I didn’t catch the early train…I don’t like buses (the schedules confuse the hell out of me) and I need to get back to grab dinner with Vanessa. So Orvieto it is...

It is a walled city set pretty high up on a hill. You take a bus or the funicular from the train station.


I looked up in advance what bus to take…not like me…and got off the train, bought a ticket and went and got on the A1 bus.

So I got a little hour tour of the not interesting surroundings of Orvieto and made a trip to the hospital and back. Buh. So for sure not going to try going to Civita. I was lucky this bus came back to the station!
Orvieto is a beautiful town. We came on a school tour…it has a pretty major cathedral, museums, pretty extensive underground tunnels etc. I did all that last time so I just wondered… Surprise Surprise.

We were lucky as students that we were here in off season from the major tourism times. Orvieto is swamped! After having lunch, gelato, wondering through the tourist and some of the shops…ceramics is big here….I went to a park overlooking the valley and read and journaled. Really pretty day…little warm but still nice.


I spent my siesta time in the park and then went for a walk along the outerwall. It’s pretty much a walking park with amazing panoramas at all times. This was such a relaxing time because there wasn’t a person in site for hours. No tourist wondered away from the main plaza and corso so I had my wall walk ALL to myself. Very peaceful…flowers, benches, plush green grass. And so quite. I kept my ipod on all day ( I usually don’t listen to music when I'm playing tourist) but it made for a very enjoyable day. Maybe a little too much in my head but that’s ok. Va bene. Get a lot of "in my head" time here!

me standing on the wall overlooking the valley


my walk

Caught a 30 minute late train after six…then scootered up to Santa Chiara to meet V.

Went out to eat and sat and talked for a long time. Ordered pasta that was creamy with ham. Very good and a nice change. Pasta is pretty much always tomato sauce…or pesto. While of course tasty, I like a little change!

V and I talked about the possibility of me staying to be an RC at the school.

If you don’t know what that is…its former students (usually all recently graduated) and you live at the school doing a wide range of jobs. I guess the major would be helping in the kitchen and serving meals, handling food deliveries, babysitting in general….

They could use someone that would stay in the fall and spring. Which would put me here a whole year. Wow. I would have 6 week break at Christmas which I would for sure come home for. Hmmm. Lots to think about.
For every reason I have to stay there are two reasons/responsibilities to go back home. Buh. I don’t like growing up! So thinking this over takes up much of my next few days! I just talk myself in circles about it…I can talk myself into as easy as out of it. What to do?